Festival Fever – A short history of Finnish festivals from the early ages till 1990s
Text: Kaija and Markku Valkonen, 1994
Translated by Timothy Binham
Edited by Kai Amberla and Minna Salonranta, 2013
1. The beginnings
2. From blissful backwater to cultural beehive
3. Finland arise, Jyväskylä is coming!
4. Resistance in song
5. The countdown begins
6. “Finnish flags fluttered joyfully in the evening breeze”
7. Separated by song, united by song
8. A sad but efficient nation
9. Let us singers inspire one another with song
10. The friction between high art and amateurism
11. The first opera performances in Savonlinna
12. Land of farmers, culture of cities
13. Modernism – but that’s already been invented!
14. Throw out the mothballs!
15. Finland Festivals is born
16. The idea catches on
17. The joyful festival visitor
18. Night frost bites cultural summer?
19. Home-grown or imported goods?
20. Finland Festivals – a matter of course